There are a great many factors involved in getting a website to rank high in the search engines. Some factors are easily controlled while others need an expert to accomplish.
Let’s start with the ones you can control:
- Keywords – this involves finding the words which a user might use to find your product of service on a search engine, then placing them correctly in the text and in the coding.
- Page Titles – shows the search engines and the searcher what your page is about. It is displayed in the top bar of most browsers. (e.g., Pasadena Web Design – CityCenter Co.)
- Image names and coding – there are a number of ways to add keywords to your images such as file name, getting them into the alt tag which provides alternate text about the image to the search engines and visually impaired users, image titles (different from file name) and captions.
- File names – this is the actual name of the page file (e.g., website-design.htm)
- Blogging – websites with blogs are visited by search engines more often than a static website as a blog’s content is refreshed more than static sites.
Some of the more difficult ways to enhance your web ranking are:
- Link building – This is getting links from other websites back to you. This cannot be done haphazardly as only links from relevant and trusted sites count.
- Articles and press releases– Getting articles and press releases published on other websites which are in some way connected with yours. It can be associations you belong to, industry sites, or other sites about your industry. You can link to your site in the by-line. This also helps to make you “an expert” in your field.
- Social media marketing – Setting up pages for your company on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. Once created, you need to post to your pages regularly with links back to your site for more data.
- Pay per click – Online advertising with important keywords on Google, and other search engines, then paying each time someone clicks the ad leading the user to your site. It is important to do your keyword research before getting into pay per click as it can become quite expensive if done wrong.
We would be glad to assist you with your SEO activities – please call us!